Tuesday, 18 March 2008

The importance of a leader

wow. it's been months since I last wrote here.

I could easily blame my tight schedule as the main reason of not being able to do so, but that would bring me back to the state of independency.
Despite my hardship trying to adjust to the new environment, I must make it a habit to update my blogs, especially this one. Since despite the humungous challange of the environment I am currently in, I would not have made it this far without the help of 7 habits. The second reason, I want to document all the things that irk me, while I am yet to be immune to the new surrounding, while my senses are in high sensitivity, before I 'get along' and get comfortable.
My current environment if infected with scarcity mentality. The entire nation seemed to be taught since little to think that there is only so much, and we must compete to be on top. They quote lack of resources (since they live on a tiny island) as the main reason. i can see now why Covey put a great emphasize on the danger of such thought/belief. It's a very devastating paradigm since it governs the way we act. This nation is losing, since they lack trust amongst themselves.
Initially I was impressed by my new boss of her ability to think quickly. But slowly my emotional bank account is depleting, since I find that I can no longer trust her. In many occasions, I witnessed duplicity, inconsistent principles, not walking the talk, ego and stealing credits when it's not due. I know 7 habits also teach us about Principle centred leadership, how we should not let any boss be our compass, but her leadership does effect my relationship and my work performance. I find it hard to find my true compass since she is still a decision maker, and I am merely the executioner. More often than not, I disagree with her decisons, but am not at the place to say so.
I must go back to the book, and re-read in order to help me get through this.

No comments: